Important travel advice
Ebola virus - Travelling to Cape Verde
The Cape Verde government has announced restrictions on travel into the country by non-resident foreigners who in the last 30 days have been in the countries affected by the Ebola virus.
An outbreak of Ebola virus disease has been confirmed in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia. If you travel to this region you should follow the health advice issued by the National Travel Health Network and Centre. There have been no suspected cases of Ebola in Cape Verde. For further details about this outbreak of Ebola, see the World Health Organization website, the NaTHNaC outbreak surveillance database and this map showing the areas affected.
Travel for Hajj 2014
Please find below the official travel dates for the Hajj 2014 period as published by the authorities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA). Pilgrims are able to travel on British Airways flights as follows:
London Heathrow (LHR) - Jeddah (JED):
• Start: 26 August 2014 (BA 133)
• End: 26 September 2014 inclusive (BA 133)
Jeddah (JED) - London Heathrow (LHR):
• Start: 9 October 2014 (BA 132)
• End: 8 November 2014 inclusive (BA 132)
Pilgrims wishing to perform Umrah can do so for a defined period outside the Hajj pilgrimage dates, subject to obtaining a specific Umrah visa.
• Please remember if you are wishing to travel to Jeddah for the Hajj Pilgrimage you must not book outside the official travel dates.
• Pilgrims attempting to travel to Jeddah outside the official travel dates or without the correct visas will not be allowed to travel. Normal conditions of carriage will apply in these circumstances. Official travel dates are also published on the IATA Travel Centre website.
• Pilgrims are unable to enter the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia via Riyadh.
• Pilgrims for either Hajj or Umrah will be unable to travel for a period of approximately one month before Hajj and two months after Hajj.
• These dates are also determined by the Director of Civil Aviation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Additional travel restrictions for Muslims:
It is usual for the Director of Civil Aviation of Saudi Arabia to impose travel restrictions around the Hajj Pilgrimage for Muslims travelling to Jeddah for purposes other than Pilgrimage. For this reason, Muslims with business or visit visas will need to use Riyadh as an entry point to Saudi Arabia for the six week period before and during Hajj.
This restriction does not apply to Muslims with residency or the right to work in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Increase in security flying to US
Please allow extra time at airports due to an increase in security checks at UK airports.
If you are flying to the US either via or from the UK, please make sure any of your electronic devices including mobiles, laptops and tablets are charged before you travel. If your device does not switch on you may not be allowed to bring it onto the aircraft.
Affected passengers have been told they may also have to undergo extra screening measures.
For more details for British Airways passengers please click here
South Africa enforce new rules on travelling with children
From 1 October 2014, children travelling in and out of South Africa will be required to carry an unabridged birth certificate as well as a valid passport, under new regulations aimed at improving the safety of children.
The regulations came into effect at the end of May, but the Department of Home Affairs has delayed their implementation until 1 October, to make allowance for families who have already made plans for the upcoming school holidays.
The rules are aimed at improving the safety of children. The department has urged citizens and foreign nationals to apply for unabridged birth certificates, which reflect the particulars of both parents, in good time in order to avoid possible delays to their travel plans. It can take up to six to eight weeks for an unabridged birth certificate application to be processed.
Nairobi travel advice
Following several explosions in the Gikomba market area of Nairobi, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to;
Areas within 60km of the Kenya-Somali border
Kiwaya and coastal areas north of Pate Island
Eastleigh area of Nairobi
Low income areas of Nairobi, including all township or slum areas
Mombasa island and within 5km of the coast from Mtwapa creek in the north down to and including Tiwi in the south (this area does not include Diani or Moi international airport)
Contact our customer services team on 0871 402 0190 if your travel plans are affected.
Dubai City Tax
Dubai is introducing a compulsory 'Tourist Dirham' tax levied on all booked hotel accommodation. This tax is to be paid directly at the hotel by the guest before the end of their stay.
The new tax will be applicable from 31st March 2014.
All existing bookings made prior to this date with arrivals from 31st March will NOT be exempt.
The Fees are as follows:
- AED 20.00 PER ROOM PER NIGHT for stays in 5 star hotels and deluxe hotel apartments.
- AED 15.00 PER ROOM PER NIGHT for stays in 4 star hotels, superior hotel apartments and deluxe holiday homes.
- AED 10.00 PER ROOM PER NIGHT for stays in 3 and 2 star hotels, standard hotel apartments and standard holidays homes.
- AED 7.00 PER ROOM PER NIGHT for stays in 1 star hotels and guest houses.
For more information please contact the Netflights.com travel team on 0844 692 6792 and they will happily assist you.
Return to our home page