Car hire - FAQs
1. What documents do I need to collect my car?
You will need, a copy of your pre-paid rental voucher, your driving licence, a credit card in the lead drivers name and the DVLA driving licence code to allow the depot access to your driving licence report. Please check the rental conditions for specific details.
2. What driving licence do I need to hire a car?
You will need a full UK driving licence to hire a vehicle. In most instances this will need to have been valid for 12 months but please check the rental conditions for specific details.
3. I have points on my driving licence will I be able to hire a car?
As different suppliers have some restrictions in place, please contact our customer services team before booking, with the endorsement code on your licence so we can check this.
4. Do I need a credit card to pick up a hire car?
Yes we recommend the lead driver has a valid credit card in their name to collect the vehicle. In some cases a debit card or cash can be left as a security deposit. If you do not have a credit card please check the rental conditions for specific details, or contact our customer service team to check if your pick up location accept debit cards or cash.
5. Does the credit card need to be in the lead driver’s name to pick up my hire car?
Yes the credit card must be in the lead driver’s name.
6. How do I change my pick up / drop off times?
Pick up and drop off times cannot be changed once booked. If you need to change your rental times, a new booking would be required and the existing reservation would have to be cancelled. Please contact our sales team who will be able to assist you further.
7. How do I change the dates of my car hire?
Car hire dates cannot be changed once booked. If you need to change your rental dates a new booking would be required and the existing reservation would have to be cancelled. Please contact our sales team who will be able to assist you further.
8. How do I upgrade my car hire vehicle?
Should you wish to upgrade your rental vehicle, please contact our sales team who will be able to assist you further.
9. How do I request child seats in my hire car?
Please email email@example.com
10. Will I be charged a one- way drop- off fee?
Most companies charge a one-way fee where the pick-up and drop- off locations differ. These vary by car type, distance and time of year. Full details of all one way fees can be found in the car-rental conditions which can be viewed through the booking process or by clicking the link on your car rental voucher.
11. How do I request roof rack/ ski rack/ winter tyres?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
12. Do I need to return my hire car with a full tank of fuel?
Each car hire provider and depot has different rules, please check the rental conditions for full details of the specific refuelling policy.
13. Is the car hire package I have purchased fully insured?
Each car hire provider, depot and car group have different inclusions/exclusions. Please check the rental conditions for more information. It is important to fully understand the inclusions before confirming the rental.
14. What is the excess on my car hire insurance policy ?
Each car hire provider, depot and car group have different excess amounts based on the size of the vehicle rented. These details can be found on your rental conditions which can be viewed through the booking process or by clicking the link on your car rental voucher.
15 How can I reduce the excess on my car insurance?
Some car hire providers offer the option to reduce the excess on rentals either at the time of booking as an additional option, or by purchasing a waiver locally directly from the provider. Please note that not all providers allow for this.
16. How much does it cost to add an extra driver onto my car hire?
The charge for adding additional drivers varies by car hire provider, and can only be done locally with the car hire provider
17. How do I get a DVLA code for hiring car hire outside of the UK?
You can obtain a DVLA code by using the following link and entering your information as described below. Please note the code is valid for 21 days from issue only https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
1. Enter your driver number and postcode, as they appear on your driving licence, and your National Insurance number.
2. Click on the ‘Share your licence information’ tab – then the ‘Create a code’ button.
3. You will now be shown a code that you can pass on to your hire company. You’ll also have the option to print out your licence information.
18. I have been banned from driving in the UK, can I hire a car aboard?
You are not permitted to hire a vehicle whilst banned from driving as you are required to hold a full, valid UK licence. All car rental requires a DVLA code to be provided to the rental company prior to collection of the vehicle and will refuse rental for any suspended licences. No refunds will be applicable in such instances where rental is refused.
19. Car hire insurance explained
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), also known as Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), protects the driver from any claim (minus the excess amount) in the event of any damage occurring to the rental vehicle, except where negligence is proved.
Note: Collision Damage Waiver is NOT insurance.
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
Is an additional extra that you may be offered when you pick up your hire vehicle. PAI is an additional insurance which covers the authorised driver(s) and passengers in the hire vehicle for death, disability and medical expenses. Each hire company will have different PAI policy so always be sure to check what is being offered when you actually pick your vehicle up.
Theft Protection (THP) In case of theft of the vehicle or its parts, you are only responsible up to the excess charge.
In the event of accident, or damage to the vehicle, you will be expected to pay a certain amount towards the total repair cost. This is your car insurance excess. The excess on your hire will depend on the local supplier and they will be able to give you more information when you collect your car.
20. Can I pre-book a sat-nav?
Some car hire providers will allow sat-nav to be pre-purchased at the time of booking and you can select the option when making your booking. If no option is available during your booking, this can be requested from the depot on collection of the vehicle with an additional fee payable on collection. Charges can be found in the terms and conditions of your rental.
21. Is there an additional charge if the driver is under 25 charge?
Many car hire providers make additional charges for ‘“young-drivers”’ which will be made directly at the rental desk on collection of the vehicle. These details can be found on your rental conditions which can be viewed through the booking process or by clicking the link on your car rental voucher.
22. Is there a maximum age limit?
Some car hire providers operate a maximum age limit or make an upper age limit charge for their rentals. These details can be found on your rental conditions which can be viewed through the booking process or by clicking the link on your car rental voucher.