Ready for the experience of a lifetime? With affordable deals and expert travel assistance from Netflights.com, it's easy to visit the land "down under". And there's no better introduction to Australia than the friendly coastal city of Adelaide.
Sandwiched between the sea at Gulf St Vincent and the hills of the Mount Lofty Ranges, Adelaide is the capital of South Australia. It's also one of the country’s most attractive and culturally vibrant cities. It’s known for its many arts and music festivals, as well as for its elegant stone buildings, extensive parks and gardens, world-famous wine, great food and long sandy beaches.
Other travel pages about the destination: Adelaide holidays
Most popular Australia flight searches on our site:
Flights to Australia | Flights to Sydney | Flights to Melbourne | Flights to Perth | Flights to Brisbane
Shop to your heart's content
Adelaide is a shopper's paradise, and at its heart is Rundle Mall; a pedestrian street mall where the country's largest department stores vie for space with trendy boutiques, restaurants and coffee shops. The mall is known for its many outdoor sculptures, including two large metal spheres; in cheeky Australian fashion, often referred to as "the Mall's balls."
Also in the city, don’t miss Adelaide Central Market, where you can choose from the best produce grown across South Australia, and sample a wide range of gourmet treats. Adjacent to the market is vibrant Chinatown.
Arts and culture
Adelaide’s North Terrace boulevard is famous for its libraries, museums and art galleries, including the Art Gallery of South Australia, which has one of the largest collections of artwork in the country, and the fascinating South Australia Museum.
Towards the city’s east end, don’t miss the National Wine Centre and Tandanya National Aboriginal Cultural Institute.
The best of Australia's winelands
Adelaide is famous as the gateway to Australia’s winelands. Just a short drive from Adelaide are the Barossa and Clare Valleys; known throughout the world for their rolling, vine-covered hills and world-class wineries. Also nearby are the Adelaide Hills, the country's leading cool-climate wine region.
Gorgeous white beaches
Less than a half-hour tram ride from Adelaide’s city centre is the popular white beach at Glenelg. The surrounding sea is known for its friendly population of dolphins, which you may find swimming alongside you. Also visit the more relaxed beaches at Henley and Grange, with their wooden piers and cafés, and head to the safe swimming beach at Semaphore.
Adelaide highlights not to miss
Among the highlights of a visit to Adelaide are:
- Watching the buskers, enjoying the trendy cafés and shopping along popular Rundle Mall; don't miss the collection of life-size bronze pigs.
- The world's largest collection of Australian aboriginal artefacts and impressive collections of indigenous and colonial Australian art.
- Sipping great wines and enjoying the beautiful scenery in the Barossa Valley, famous for its Shiraz wines.
- Relaxing on the beautiful white beach or enjoying the amusement parks in the Adelaide suburb of Glenelg.
- A relaxing morning or afternoon meandering in beautiful Adelaide Botanic Gardens, which includes an impressive Victorian glasshouse and the largest conservatory in the southern hemisphere.
- A visit to the pandas at Adelaide Zoo.
- Taking in a cricket or "footie" match at the impressive Adelaide Oval stadium.
At Netflights.com, we offer the best possible deals on Adelaide holidays, flights, hotels and car rental – and our expert travel team and UK call centres are there to make sure you enjoy every minute.