Brexit - how will it affect your European holiday?

Updated 17th Nov 2020

As the UK prepares for Brexit, it is your responsibility to be aware of changes to rules and regulations when travelling to Europe - and adhere to them.

Below, you'll find a handy guide to the changes Brexit will bring to your trip. At the bottom of this page you'll see a link to the website, we suggest you save this and check back regularly to ensure you are fully up to date before you travel.

Valid passport

Please ensure each person travelling has a passport that:

  • Is valid for a minimum of at least 6 months
  • Is less than 10 years old

Please note, travel may be refused if either of these conditions are not met.

Travel insurance

As we always recommend, please ensure that you have a valid travel insurance policy before travelling. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will only be valid until 31st December 2020. Please ensure that your travel insurance policy covers any pre-existing medical conditions, these were covered by the EHIC however, many insurance policies will not cover existing conditions. Alternatively, you can apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). The GHIC is the new British version of the EHIC and functions in much the same way. This means that you can use the GHIC to get medical treatment in public hospitals and clinics in the EU.

You can a get great deal on travel insurance with Netflights, click on the link to find out more -

At immigration

As we leave the EU, UK passport holders may no longer be able to use lanes designated for EU Nationals (often shown as EU and EAA), and will need to use the lanes marked for travellers arriving from the rest of the world.

You may also be required to produce the following documentation on arrival:

  • Proof of a valid return or onward journey
  • Proof that you have sufficient money for your stay

Driving in the EU

From 1st January 2021, you may be required to have an International Driving Permit (IPD) when driving in Europe.

The Post Office has a handy tool for this -

If you are driving your own car, you may need to obtain and carry a physical Green Card, allowing your UK insurance to be valid in the EU. You can get these from your car insurance provider although they may charge a small fee. You may also need a GB sticker displayed when driving your own car.

Visas and length of stays

You will not require a visa to travel to Europe as a tourist and you will be able to stay for a total of 90 days in any 180 day period.

Will my flight still operate?

Yes - no worries here as the UK and EU have ensured flights will continue to operate as normal.

Mobile roaming

We all love taking a selfie and showing off on social media, however, roaming charges are changing. We advise you to check with your network provider to understand your data roaming policy and charges.

You must keep up to date with changes to European travel rules and regulations

It is your responsibility to keep up-to-date with the very latest advice and information with regards to travel rules and regulations. With this in mind, we recommend you save the link to the website below and check it on a regular basis.

Context Id: 65c693ff-101d-47ae-8057-8bc85bf520f7