Adelaide Culture and Nightlife
Adelaide isn't called cosmopolitan for nothing.
The city was established by the British in 1836, and British influence is still evident in the city's culture (and in its many British colonial buildings).
However, Adelaide has also attracted immigrants from elsewhere in Europe – especially from Germany, Italy and Greece – and, in more recent decades, from India, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, China and Vietnam.
In addition, Adelaide's galleries and museums include some of the most extensive collections of Australian aboriginal art and cultural artefacts. Providing some insight into the peoples who were there before the British arrived.
Food in Adelaide is as diverse as the city's population, with a huge range of international cuisines to choose from. Thanks to the surrounding winelands, there are also fabulous wines (both red and white) and plenty of gourmet food options to choose from.
That said, the "barbie" remains an institution. Adelaide is in Australia after all, and the city's Mediterranean climate is ideal for cooking and dining outdoors.
A few top-rated options for eating out in Adelaide:
· Orana, which provides extensive tasting menus featuring indigenous Australian ingredients, paired with excellent wine – a truly gourmet experience.
· For outstanding Italian fare, head to Andre's Cucina and Polenta Bar, just off the main strip in Frome Street; try the homemade gnocchi.
· For trendy modern décor, freshly prepared food and impeccable service visit, the Press* Food & Wine Restaurant.
· Gaucho's Argentinian Restaurant, if you're craving good steak.
· 82 Thai Eatery, for gorgeous Thai food in simple surroundings.
There's no denying that Adelaide is a party capital. The main problem you'll face in terms of nightlife is too much choice. A few places worth visiting are the pub at the Wheatsheaf Hotel (described by one reviewer on TripAdvisor as "indisputably the best pub in Adelaide"); Fumo Blu – just off North Terrace – for awesome cocktails, and the Gaslight Tavern for great live music in a cosy bar environment. For a nightclub experience with top DJs, try the ever-popular Red Square Bar on Hindley Street or head for Zhivago on Currie Street.
With Netflights.com, you too can experience Adelaide's culture, great food and wine and hopping nightlife. Our expert travel team offers the best Adelaide holidays, along with the lowest possible prices on Maldives flights, hotels and car rental.